DDS ace photographer Gregory Davis was on hand for this year’s edition ofÂ CHIKARA‘s annual, massive, King of Trios weekend. 2012′s KOT was all about the Queens though, as seven Joshi came to CHIKARA and demolished preconceptions, gender barriers and, most enjoyably,Â Matt Classic. Tsubasa Kuragaki told me she’s looking forward to returning to America again soon. Until then you can enjoy Greg’s shots of three days of wrestling excellence.Â You can also order the shows via SmartMarkVideo.com.
This past weekend CHIKARA put on its “SummerÂ Blockbuster” double-headerÂ with two big shows filled with international talent and pivotal matches. Last year’s Chikarasaurus Rex was our first live CHIKARA event. It was highlighted by two Dragon Gate vs CHIKARA six man tags and the appearance of Tommy Dreamer, Amazing Kong, and Cheerleader Melissa. This year’s expanded production featured the 12 Large Summit, along with an Ice Ribbon, CMLL and British invasion. A lot has changed in the year for CHIKARA, as the company continues to expand and improve. Here’s how the bigger, badder, better sequel went down:
Night One: Reading, PA
1. 12 Large Summit – Fire Ant defeated Jigsaw by arm lock submissionÂ â€“ Much is at stake in every match of the 12 Large Summit, a point-drivenÂ round robin tournament to crown CHIKARA’s first singles champion. If that wasn’t apparentÂ during the highly technicalÂ opening moments of this bout, it certainly became clear when Fire Ant made his second suicide dive ontoÂ Jigsaw, propelling both into the last row of seats.
The match was filled with greatness from the two tournament dark horses. The performance fromÂ Jigsaw was particular gutsy asÂ he was just making his return to the ring after a bicep injury. Clearly not 100%,Â Jigsaw had toÂ wrestle the latter half of the match with virtuallyÂ one arm. A sick penalty kick and brainbusterÂ combo almost gave him precious victory, but a few arm locks later and Jigsaw had no choice but to submit. Fantastic opener.
This is massive. Chris, Greg, and Ayzali took an incredible amount of pictures of CHIKARA this weekend. Nearly 360, covering every angle of CHIKARA’s return to Chicago as well as their appearance the next night near Detroit. Chris also provided aÂ write-up of the Chi-Town show. Enjoy these shots and share with your fellow CHIKArmy members!
CHIKARA: The Case of the Bullet-Proof Waldo – 6/24/2011 Chicago, IL.
1. The Batiri: Obaryion, Kodama, and Kobold def. The Throwbacks: Sugar Dunkerton, Dasher Hatfield, and Matt Classic with a Blockbuster – A back and forth match until a miscommunication between Classic and Dasher led to Kodama pinning Classic.
2. Ophidian def. Isaiahs Velasquez with the Cobra Clutch - A fine match which saw Ophidian gain the win by blocking a superkick with astonishing skill and locking on a bridging Cobra Clutch for the submission win.
3. FIST: Chuck Taylor and Johnny Gargano def. The Colony: Solider Ant and Green Ant with the Hertz Donut – An excellent match that capped off with some hard-hitting double team action by FIST and Garganoâ€™s Hertz Donut for the pin on Solider Ant.
4. Young Lions Cup holder Frightmare def. Hieracon with a rollup in a Non-Title Match - Hieracon came close, but Frightmare survived a crossface and Lightning Spiral and secured the pin.